Tuesday, May 30, 2017

From Aspiration to Inspiration

My husband and I spent this past weekend in the beautiful city of Savannah. If you've never been there, it almost defies description. Gorgeous, ornate old row houses, historic homes everywhere you look, live oaks draped in spanish moss- it is truly one of the prettiest places you could ever visit. It's also only a three-hour drive, which makes it perfect for a quick getaway.

We had lots of fun strolling through the squares, perusing the shops and art galleries, and eating in fantastic restaurants. But the highlight of our trip was easily the apartment that we rented. It was GORGEOUS!! It was on the first floor of a converted row house, so it had all the high-ceilinged charm you could ask for. And the colorful, eclectic decor was right up my alley. I literally circled through that house about 20 times, just looking at all the amazing art, and admiring the way they'd paired formal with casual to create an interesting, elegantly whimsical space. I kept telling my husband "This is how I would decorate if we had money!! (Take the full tour at http://www.southernbellevacationrentals.com/vacation-rental-home.asp?PageDataID=99477  Tell them I sent you!!)




The thing that I adored the most was a china cabinet in the parlor. It was filled with books, art and all kinds of interesting little objects. It was a literal feast for the eyes, and I wanted it. Bad.



We got home Sunday afternoon, and I found myself wondering how to incorporate some of that Savannah style into my house. Problem is, I've spent the last year doing every room- I couldn't start over, right? Well, no, not on a large scale. But there was a small room that could use a makeover....

Our downstairs powder room was one of the first rooms I painted. It's tiny, so I wanted a bold, saturated color. I wanted to turn it into a little jewel box of a room, but when it was done, I felt like my efforts had fallen flat. The robin's egg blue paint was just a bit on the tacky side, and I never felt like everything came together, but I didn't know how to make it better. Until Sunday.
This is the most accurate representation 
of color. My cell phone photography is lacking.








All of a sudden, I knew what that room needed! It needed a dark, rich paint, and I had just the color. Benjamin Moore Calypso Blue. I fell in love with this one a few years ago after seeing these pictures.

 I even used it in the master bath in our old house. It was time to bring back my beloved dark, teal blue.
But what to do about my need for charming antique objets de' art? That was easy. I spent an hour in two of my very favorite antique/junk shops, and I procured everything you see here for $30. The cabinet was $20, and all the tchotchkes, (minus the Titanic model, glass bottle, and rose paperweight that I already owned) and the two framed pictures were $10. I feel like we need to take a moment to honor my fierce junking skills. 







I started painting Monday afternoon, and here we are 24 hours later.
The color is far more teal in real life-
much like the inspiration bathroom.





 I'm 100% in love with it. I wish I could pee standing up so I could admire my cabinet of delightful curiosities every time I visited that room. The dark color makes it seem cozy, and it makes the antiques and the snazzy gold mirror (thanks, mom!) pop. It's hard to get great pictures since the room is the size of the handicapped stall at your local gas station bathroom, so you'll just have to trust me. But it's finally the little jewel I knew it could be. Now if I can just keep the boys from peeing on the wall...

No comments:

Post a Comment